Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Loving Every Minute

Today I was given the opportunity to work with the sea turtle protection program called Archelon. We got to work with the volunteers there as we were split into groups and given specific sectors to do morning surveys. The morning surveys included walking the entire sector of the beach, searching for marked nests by the volunteers who worked the night survey, finding the eggs deep in the sand, relocating the nests if needed, and marking and barracading the nests to prevent the eggs from being destroyed by predators. My experience was very exciting because the beach that I was assigned to had many nests. It was thrilling to see and count all the eggs in the nests we found. I was also very happy when I was allowed to hold an egg. After the morning surveys, we got to go to the beach and swim. The water was very cold but refreshing after our busy, laborous morning. I had an adventure filled day and looked much forward to our adventures to come in Italy after the over-night ferry ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 15 days
Destinations Athens
Rome
Pompeii
Focus Biology
Culture
Earth Science