Monday, June 27, 2011

Italy Frozen In Time

Yesterday we left the Kikajon lodge and went to a marmalade factory. Italy is very big on agriturismo, which is a mix between agriculture and tourism. This is what the marmalade factory was. Tourist could come and room there and have recreational activities; however, all their farm was there also such as cherry trees, orange trees, and so on. After touring the farm, we had lunch from the actual farm. Then we went to Palermo to have dinner and board our overnight ferry to Naples. The restaurant we ate at was established in 1834. It was neat to have Italian food in such an old restaurant. On the ferry we got a special tour of the boat. We got to see many things behind the scenes like the navigation room, where the captian has dinner, and we met some of the cooks. As good as yesterday was, today was just incredible. When we got off our ferry, we went to a water park! The water was so cold at first, but how could we complain when we were in Italy?! Then the staff came out and started singing and dancing beside the wave pool. Along with some other people there, the staff drug Dr. Lacey, Alexis, Megan, Bethany, and me out there to dance along with them. It was so much fun. After all that we were hungry. We went to lunch where we had spaghetti! It was the best spaghetti I have ever tasted and it filled me up. I should've known better than to eat so much because then came out our second course. Chicken and fries. It was so good, but so much. And of course they brought us delicious ice cream for dessert. Then we went to Pompei. It was so different than what I expected. Pompei was covered in ash from a volcano in 79 a.d. Because of this the ancient city of Pompei was literally frozen in time. The remains were incredible. The city was so well remained that as I walked on the originals cobblestone road, I could see where the chariots made grooves in the road. There were bakeries, theaters, and courthouses. As I sat in the spot a council man may sat in the amphitheater and my feet touched the original marble, I was amazed. Pictures on the walls and signs above houses were still there. The town of Pompei that I walked down was bigger than my hometown. This was a huge city. It was so sad to see that it was destroyed, but so interesting to see it preserved.

Niki Pulliam

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 15 days
Destinations Athens
Rome
Pompeii
Focus Biology
Culture
Earth Science