Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The last day in Rome

Tomorrow we head back to the United States. While we are sad to be leaving Italy, it is time to see family and friends again. The students are enjoying their last night together and will post about today's activities while they are waiting on their flights. They have been awesome bloggers and great travelers. I think they were the perfect group to travel to Greece and Italy, and I will have fond memories of them. I have known Jon for a long time and will always remember his love of meeting people and his willingness to help out the group whenever needed. He will go far in this life, and I look forward to helping him on his future medical missions. Austin has grown tremendously while on this trip. Every day I watched him take on more leadership responsibilities and will always remember his confidence when he gave his presentation before the sea turtle volunteers in Greece. I have also enjoyed his wit and great sense of humor. Bethany, what a traveler she is! She has such a sense of awe when she visits new sites. I found her to be the one I turned to whenever I experienced something that was too beautiful for words. She not only understands beauty, she feels it. Sarah was the only traveler I had never had in class. What a joy it has been to get to know her. She is full of practical information and about as dependable a kid as I have ever known. She loves learning about new places; I predict that more travel lies in her future. She could go anywhere and find her way around. Niki is my travel companion. I will miss her tremendously next year but am grateful that I have had the opportunity to travel to five countries with her. She and I share many memories, and I feel that she is going to make a huge impact on this world. Our traveling days may have come to an end, but our paths have become too entwined for us to go separate ways. She will always remain an integral part of my life. Thanks guys for a great trip. Karen Wells

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and remarkable group. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Thank you for going beyond the call of the classroom and LITERALLY opening up the world to our children!! You are an awesome teacher, a tolerable leader and most of all a true and genuine friend. Thank you again for going beyond the classroom to educate our children by teaching them with an indescribable and unforgetable hands-on lesson! Midland is very fortunate to have you as a teacher and leader for our children.

    I know this is a lot to ask, but please don't retire until Erin has the opportunity to travel with you. I'm not sure I'd trust my children out of the country with anyone else!!!

    God's continued blessing on you Karen Wells!

    With great respect and appreciation,
    Lea Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen Wells can travel with Discovery long after she retires. That being said, I'm sure Midland High would miss her dearly.

    Anson Lee
    Sr. Director
    Discovery Student Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! What a great trip. Thanks for sharing the article. I hope that I will meet many customers in many different countries during their trip together to learn the culture of many countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip you are having, wish I was with you Karen. Love reading your blog!

    Katrina Fiorenza
    Roommate in Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete



Adventure Details

Duration 15 days
Destinations Athens
Rome
Pompeii
Focus Biology
Culture
Earth Science