Saturday, June 18, 2011

Athens...WOW

As I sit down to write this, I'm asking myself, "How do I put this amazing day into words?" We woke up this morning, got ready, and went to breakfast. After having a cup of coffee, I felt much better and ready to start the day's activities. We then went to a lecture about Greek mythology that was pleasantly informative. We learned that the Greek gods apply to people today. Their characteristics are characteristics that we can use to compare ourselves and to figure out which Greek god we are most like. After the lecture we traveled through the streets, and to the tram stop. We took the tram to a certain point of the city and then went for lunch. Lunch was so delicious. I am enjoying this Greek food, even though I'm already feeling so fat. And it's only the second day! At lunch we met a lovely tour guide Greek woman who was full of knowledge and facts about the magnificant ruins. She led us through a beautiful garden and to our first stop: the Temple of Zeus. Though only sixteen columns out of one hundred and four columns still stood, the beauty of the structure was still so breathtaking. We all took a million and a half pictures before we began another long walk up the Acropolis to the Parthenon or the Temple of Athena. My heart started to flutter as i gazed around at my surroundings. The powerful ruins, the gleaming roof tops of the city around the Parthenon, and historical Mars Hill down below. It was a scene from a postcard. Beautiful. We then went through the streets of old town and shopped for souvenirs. Today was a great day. I am extremely grateful for this. I'm having the best time of my life, and it's only day two.

-Bethany Roberson

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 15 days
Destinations Athens
Rome
Pompeii
Focus Biology
Culture
Earth Science