Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Day in the Vatican

Today we went to the Vatican. It was simply amazing. It was much different than what I expected. In a day's time, we didn't even scratch the surface. There were famous statues, paintings, and artifacts. Like in Athens, I couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing. The details of the artwork were unbelievable. There just aren't painters like that anymore. There were all sorts of optical illusions and all the ceilings were covered in art. When we went to the Sistine Chapel I didn't know what to think. We weren't allowed to talk or take pictures because we were in a holy place. To look up and see what Michelangelo depicted as creation and sin coming into the world was unbelievable. He truly was a gifted man. He would stay up for days at a time painting; this is what caused his eyes to bleed. He also stood painting with his head lifted up for so long that he couldn't put it down and had to have a chiropractor fix it. As I stared in silence, I couldn't help but wonder if it was because nobody was allowed to talk or if everybody was in awe. I think it may have been a little of both. Niki Pulliam


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment



Adventure Details

Duration 15 days
Destinations Athens
Rome
Pompeii
Focus Biology
Culture
Earth Science